- in the national language(s) and script(s) : Bibliothèque nationale de France
- in English : National library of France
75706 Paris Cedex 13
Téléphone : 33(0)1 53 79 59 59
Vincent Boulet : email@example.com
Short description of the institution :
The Bibliothèque nationale de France traces its origin to the royal library, established at the Louvre in 1368. It was officially created on 4 January 1994, by the merger of the old National Library with the new Library of France. The BnF is the main repository of legal deposits of French publications in many different media.
As a national library and national bibliographic agency, the BnF has a long-standing tradition of creating authority records (available in a digital format since 1985).
Data.bnf.fr is a service which creates “pages for authors” and “pages for works” that reuse the content of the authority file. It aims to make BnF resources more useful on the Web and to facilitate the discovery of its holdings. It brings together (in a unique access point) data from different resources and departments inside the French National Library and provides related resources available on the Web.
Short description of the authority data
- Described entities :
o Corporate bodies
o Geographical names
o Rameau authority records
o Dewey authority records
- Number of records for each type of authority data :
As of Dec 31, 2012 :
o Persons : 3 862 312
o Corporate bodies : 628 825
o Geographical names : 260 089
o Titles : 222 090
o Rameau authority records: 172 313
o Dewey authority records: 139 044
- Data provided in the authority records (in Unimarc (A))
o Uniform heading
o Parallel heading
o Variant heading
o Related heading
o Information Note
o Source data found
Data provided to VIAF
- Authority records for names of persons, corporate bodies, geographical names and titles.
As of Dec 31, 2012 :
o Persons : 1 435 797
o Corporate bodies : 327 409
o Geographical names : 113 463
o Titles : 149 930
o Rameau authority records: 169 992
o Dewey authority records: 100 626
- All bibliographic records created, updated or deleted in the BnF general catalogue.
- Undifferenciated authority records are excluded from BnF deliveries to VIAF.